Director - Software Engineering
Vero Finance Technologies
We are looking for our second Technical hire, reporting to our CTO. You will help build the Engineering function at Vero, working with business partners across the organization to deliver inventory financing solutions, and a high-touch borrowers' experience to SMBs.
Vero is in the process of closing a $4M Seed round and is a team of 15 with backgrounds in finance, mobility, banking software and automotive.
We are looking for applicants who love leading a team of developers and engineers, collaborating with product managers, and improving company policies and standards.
As Director of Engineering at Vero, you will oversee the development of a mix of banking and dealership-focused solutions. We are focused on delivering an exceptional customer experience - and consistently take feedback from our users to inform how we can transform the way commercial lending products are delivered.
As a leader of the development organization at Vero, you'll be in charge of leading a team that ships incredible features on an innovative platform all the while helping to create an inspiring place for engineers to work.
To be successful as a Director of Engineering, you should have prior organizational leadership experience, be able to collaborate with team members, and be a strategic problem-solver. Ultimately, a top-notch Director should demonstrate excellent communication skills, an ability to connect with other engineers and developers and have a solid foundation in software design and architecture.
At a high level you’ll be responsible for the product’s technical execution, quality, and reliability, and growing our distributed engineering team. To do this you’ll need to understand Vero’s architecture, codebase, & ecosystem on an intimate level so that you can contribute in driving the future of the platform.
You’ll foster a culture that empowers the team to create processes that ensure Vero has a world-class codebase focused on quality, reliability, & scalability. Our stakeholders require a UX that caters to their day-to-day routines, a successful hire will be curious, empathetic, and intuitive. To accomplish this you’ll have to know which problems to prioritize and be constantly encouraging the team to ask: How do we reduce our bug volume, bring down our tech debt judiciously, and prevent regressions? What metrics can we show to demonstrate progress? Can quality unlock faster development and growth? How can we make sure we’re always staying ahead of the game on infrastructure, security, & ecosystem related projects?
You’ll become the perfect partner to our product team. As Director of Engineering, you'll help product estimate how long dev stories will take and play an active role in the technical pre-planning to ensure the design, product, & development processes run smoothly together. In addition, as Vero’s platform interacts with so many different technologies and SaaS products, it’s important you love to stay up to date on all of the trends in the tech community to make sure any changes that are coming down the pipeline are on our roadmap and planned out with plenty of time to spare.
You’ll create a place that developers rave about. You’ll work closely with our CTO to act as a mentor to everyone, helping them grow both personally and professionally. You’ll also be responsible for finding and hiring top-tier talent and creating a positive, inspiring culture that makes Vero an unstoppable force. And finally, while we’re still in our early stages, you must not be afraid of rolling up your sleeves and doing the work.
- 6+ years of experience leading engineering teams, preferably part or all of that at a top-tier SaaS company or a previous startup during the rapid team and business scaling phase
- Deep knowledge of industry trends in the entire tech ecosystem
- Experience developing standards and procedures to ensure that quality standards are met and consistent
- Has shipped code using different Agile methodologies with the understanding of the pros & cons of each approach
- Regularly identifies and removes impediments / destroys time wasters in the dev process
- A natural leader on their current dev team focused on giving team members the best opportunity of their lives, taking all of the blame and none of the credit, & always available during a crisis.
- While a majority of your time will be spent leading you still want to deep dive into the codebase for a few projects per year
- Worked at a venture-backed startup with high growth potential that’s scaled from less than 20 to over 500 while you were there
- Managing a team of distributed engineers at a remote first company
- Experience scaling engineering teams & working with dev orgs of at least 50 engineers
- Vero is committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity
*Employer and welcome people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.